Thursday, February 23, 2006

A Formal Apology to Tom and Brad

I remember getting excited in seventh grade about the release of Boston's third album, "Third Stage". Yes, I know how uncool that is. What can I say...I was a little geeky nerd in seventh grade. It's an extremely wimpy album, and it hasn't exactly stood up to the test of time. It's overproduced, cheesy, wuss-rock. It especially sucks in comparison to their first two albums, which are still pretty decent. They're not records that changed the face of the world or defined a generation or anything like that, but they're not bad at all. "More Than a Feeling" is a great pop song, with a great melody and an incredibly catchy hook.

Anyway, back to the "Third Stage" album. In the liner notes of the record, there was a description of why it took four years to make the album. I remember reading it and thinking "What a crock! There's no reason an album should take four years! It just sounds like a bunch of excuses!"
Consider this my formal apology to Tom Scholz and Brad Delp. I was awfully quick to judge.I started working on RWOs next CD at the beginning of 2003. Three years later, it's still not done. And it's certainly not going to be done by March first, the self-imposed deadline. I’ve come a long way in the last 30 days, but not far enough. Thank God for Guns N Roses, who have been working on their Chinese Democracy CD for 13 years. They make me look like I'm working at the speed of light!

Oh, one more thing. While I apologize for judging so harshly while in seventh grade, I can't accept responsibility for the fact that they put out such a crappy album. Mr. Schulz, you're a very smart guy. Most graduates of MIT are. And I've heard you're a perfectionist.

Um...so, this album was your idea of "Perfection"? That makes me very sad inside. So very, very sad.

2 comments:

ChickyBabe said...

Perfection is subjective, and while you may be a slave master who strives for it (I speak for myself here), others may be content with much less.

If RWO is not ready by March 1, it's not drama. Most if not all good projects are delayed, it's what gets delivered in the end that counts. :)

Jeff said...

What would I do without you, ChickyBabe? Not only do you visit the SodaFountain (especially as I'm gearing back up and posting less-than-stellar entries), you comment with your particular wit and wisdom.

Three Cheers for the perviest Aussie around!