Friday, October 21, 2005

ChickyBabe Stops By the Pharmacy


*the bell over the door jingles as a beautiful blonde steps into the pharmacy and towards the Soda Fountain*

“I knew I’d find you here on a rainy day like today” she said.

Oh, hey, ChickyBabe. How’s the unpacking coming along in your new house?

“Well, I’ll tell you one thing. The rain makes me want to curl up on my couch and listen to some rainy-day CDs, but I moved my couch into my spare bedroom to make more space for the guests to mingle last night.”

Oh, hey, yeah. Thanks for inviting me to your little shindig! I think I told you last night that I’m a little shy and don’t go out with big groups of strangers often, but I had a really good time getting to know some of your neighbors. And it’s exciting to know that you’re within walking distance of the Soda Fountain. Maybe I can drop by sometime, see what’s going on over at your “nest”.

“Ooh, that was a BAD one, J. Hey, Soda Jerk, can I get a….oh! Hi, Craig! Can I get a latte?

“I didn’t get a chance to ask you last night, how’s the CD coming?”

Phillip and I had a three-hour rehearsal on Saturday that went really well. It looks like we’ll be recording the first weekend in November.

But I tell you, ChickyBabe, I only have nine songs that are currently ready to be recorded. I need to have at least ten. I have two more guitar riffs that could be developed into songs, but I’m running out of time. Phillip and I only have two more weekend of available rehearsal space before they close down for renovation. It’s an external deadline for which I hadn’t planned.

Basically, my task this week is to work those last two riffs into full songs before Saturday.

Throw on top of that the fact that I just changed recording platforms from Acid to the industry standard of ProTools, and I’m a little antsy. ProTools has about a billion times more power and better quality for what I’m doing, which is great and all, but I really wish I didn’t have to learn new software now and could just focus on recording.

Finally, I’m not sure my year-end bonus (which is funding the project) is going to be as much as I had hoped. We could run into financial issues when it comes time to press the discs for distribution. But we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it…

So, if there are days when you don’t see me at the Soda Fountain, it usually means I’m holed up in my home studio with an acoustic guitar working out chord progressions, melodies, harmonies, and lyrics.

What, is the latte not strong enough? It looks like you’re nodding off…get back to unpacking! Invite me over sometime…as long as it’s after March 15.

3 comments:

ChickyBabe said...

Well, J, if you need another song for the CD, how about one about Oz or Sydney Seduction? You can always come to my place for inspiration. On a rainy day...

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the recording.

ChickyBabe said...

*Knock Knock*

This is ChickyBabe… Anyone home at the Soda Fountain??

*tries to look through glass window*

Hmm…too much drumming going on… They’ll never hear me. Ah well, it’s been so hot I wanted a cool drink. Never mind. I’ll be back another time…