Thursday, April 13, 2006

Christmas '95, in Dayton

You know Emily, it's funny. I can't hear Alannis Morissette's song "Ironic" without thinking of you.

You remember it, don't you? Walking down the streets of Dayton in late December with Whitney, singing the chorus in three-part harmony? Damn, we sounded good. Sure, it was cheesy. And it's never been one of my favorite songs, you know. I wonder how many times Alannis has been confronted by someone well-educated in English to tell her that indeed, it isn't really "ironic". More of an "unfortunate coincidence" than anything else.

But in this case it had nothing to do with the lyrics. Even songs that show no understanding of "irony" sound good with three-part harmony. We sounded like a regular Peter, Paula, and Mary. Man, did it feel good.

Look, I'm not trying to be melodramatic or anything, but does that memory ever cross your mind? Or can you only think about how much of a dick I was in my early 20s? Or maybe you don't think of me at all.

No matter the answer, I sure wish we were still in touch. I wish we could make each other laugh again...

2 comments:

ChickyBabe said...

That's avery poignant post, J, to wonder if someone still thinks of you and the longing to be in touch with the person. I have pondered the same thing myself recently.

Jeff said...

ChickyBabe - Some people just touch your life that way. 99% of the time, I'm just thankful I had the time with them that I did. But every once in a while, I think about the laughter and miss it terribly.